Prehospital Emergency Care Glossary
Web Page Glossary
Hello! My name is Maxence Guénette, I have been studying Prehospital Emergency Care for three years now. In this glossary, I am going to translate 20 words in my field of study that can help any other Paramedics in their work.
- cyanosis
- noun
- Blueness or lividness of the skin, as from imperfectly oxygenated blood.
- Example: My patient is having cyanosis.
- fr: cyanose

- anaphylactic shock
- noun
- Anaphylaxis is a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction that can develop rapidly.
- Example: My patient is having an anaphylactic shock.
- fr: choc anaphylactique
- anemia
- noun
- Anemia is a condition in which the body does not have enough healthy red blood cells.
- Example: I have anemia, my blood cells do not have enough oxygen.
- fr: anémie

- angina
- noun
- Angina, also known as angina pectoris, is chest pain or discomfort that occurs when part of your heart muscle does not get enough oxygen-rich blood.
- Example: My chest hurts, I have angina.
- fr: angine

- apnea
- noun
- Temporary cessation of breathing, especially during sleep.
- Example: Be quick! The patient is having apnea.
- fr: apnée
- artery
- noun
- A blood vessel that carries blood from the heart to tissues and organs in the body.
- Example: My arteries are blocked.
- fr: artère
- bandage
- noun
- A strip of material used to bind a wound or to protect an injured part of the body.
- Example: Give me a bandage, so I can control this bleeding.
- fr: bandage

- asthma
- noun
- A respiratory condition marked by spasms in the bronchi of the lungs, causing difficulty in breathing.
- Example: I suffer from asthma.
- fr: asthme

- asystole
- noun
- Asystole is when your heart's electrical system fails entirely, which causes your heart to stop pumping.
- Example: My patient's heart is in asystole.
- fr: asystolie

- bronchitis
- noun
- Bronchitis is a condition that develops when the airways in the lungs, called bronchial tubes, become inflamed and cause coughing, often with mucus production.
- Example: I'm sick, I have bronchitis.
- fr: bronchite

- cardiac monitoring
- verb
- Cardiac monitoring generally refers to continuous or intermittent monitoring of heart activity to assess a patient's condition.
- Example: Let's do cardiac monitoring to make sure everything is good with your hearth.
- fr: surveillance cardiaque

- catheter
- noun
- A flexible tube inserted through a narrow opening into a body cavity, particularly the bladder, for removing fluid.
- Example: The drugs are administrated to the patient with a catheter.
- fr: cathéter

- cervical collar
- noun
- Cervical/neck collars are commonly used by patients who have had a surgical intervention of the cervical spine, to immobilize the neck.
- Example: I am wearing a cervical collar to immobilize my neck.
- fr: collier cervical
- concussion
- noun
- A concussion is a mild traumatic brain injury that affects brain function. Effects are often short-term and can include headaches and trouble with concentration, memory, balance, mood, and sleep.
- Example: My head hurts so much, I may have a concussion.
- fr: commotion cérébrale

- corticosteroid
- noun
- Any of a group of steroid hormones produced in the adrenal cortex or made synthetically.
- Example: The pharmacist prescribed me corticosteroids.
- fr: corticostéroïde
- convulsions
- noun
- A sudden, violent, irregular movement of a limb or of the body, caused by involuntary contraction of muscles and associated especially with brain disorders such as epilepsy, the presence of certain toxins or other agents in the blood, or fever in children.
- Example: I suffer from epilepsy, I have convulsions often.
- fr: convulsions

- defibrillator
- noun
- An apparatus used to control heart fibrillation by application of an electric current to the chest wall or heart.
- Example: Go get the defibrillator, this man is having an hearth attack.
- fr: défibrillateur

- electrocardiogram
- noun
- An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) records the electrical signal from the heart to check for different heart conditions.
- Example: We will do an electrocardiogram to make sure your hearth is healthy.
- fr: électrocardiogramme
- embolism
- noun
- Obstruction of an artery, typically by a clot of blood or an air bubble.
- Example: I almost died last year, I had a pulmonary embolism.
- fr: embolie

- epitaxis
- noun
- Bleeding from the nose.
- Example: I hit my nose, and now I suffer from epitaxis.
- fr: épistaxis

Comments
Post a Comment